Safe Gun Storage
Rules for Safe Gun Storage
- Keep all guns and ammunition out of the reach of children, untrained adults, and those who would use them improperly.
- Always keep your guns locked in a Gun Safe that cannot be easily broken into or taken away. If one is not available, use a Cable Lock or Trigger Lock (one that goes behind the trigger is preferred) and store the guns out of the reach of those who should not have access to them.
- Keep the keys to gun safes and gun locks hidden and out of the reach of those who should not have access to them.
- Store your guns unloaded and with the safety on.
- Keep the guns dry, cleaned, and oiled while in storage.
- Store guns and ammunition in a dry cool place and away from heat and fire.
Always keep your guns secure in some way when you have children and/or untrained people in your home. You can buy a steel gun cabinet that will hold hand guns, several long rifles, or shotguns for around a $100 and you can buy a Cable or Trigger lock for around $20. Every gun storage situation is different, but there is a locking method for every situation.