Safe gun handling is very important. Whether you are out hunting or just at the range, knowing and following the rules will help keep everyone safe. Since hunting season is over, more trips to the range to practice and train may be in order. Proper safe gun handling practice at the range can help engrain the safety knowledge so that, in any situation, you know the 12 Golden Rules.
The 12 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
- Never point the gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
- Always use proper Ammunition.
- Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
- Don’t rely on the gun’s safety to keep it from firing.
- Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns to avoid tripping or losing your balance which might cause you to accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.
Magtech Ammunition supports safe gun handling. Remember to keep gun safety at the forefront of your mind as you’re out at the range or hunting. See more safety tips, learn about our ammunition, and other resources on our website.
Bonus: Here is friendly PSA from the National Shooting Sport Foundation: